Pages

Friday, May 12, 2006

Poyum


Update: A picture of the poyum as originally scrawled!

I've kept with me a notebook from law school, which has very little in the way of actual notes, but a lot of assorted junk including song lyrics, cartoons, strawberry fields band schedules, and the following poem scrawled in the neat Bappi script (Please note that he omitted to mention the name of the poem or the poet, so that at least the lazies among us might attribute it to his genius!):

William Butler Yeats - He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven

Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

I'm not an expert on poetry, hell i've hardly read any poetry in my life, but this little verse has a bit of magic for me. Maybe it's the plaintive tone, or the fact that it speaks of a kind of fantastic devotion that we have all, at some time, believed ourselves capable of. Maybe because it speaks of a power that someone else has (as certain people always do) over our happiness, which is uplifting while at the same time discouraging. Or maybe it's just because it's scrawled on the back cover of that bloody notebook from that chapter of my life.

PS. Step 1 to blogging street cred - include poetry...any poetry....CHECK!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

>>Please note that he omitted to mention the name of the poem or the poet, so that at least the lazies among us might attribute it to his genius!

the lazies? the ladies you mean?? (or perhaps the lazy ladies?

Isn't it step 23 whatever of his woman seduction programme?

I've been lurking on your site a while and really love how you write.

sunsister said...

i remember reading this poem when i was a 'wee little thing'. it was in a travelogue on burma by a poor, backpaker couple. its always been one of my favourites.

you may not have too much poetry in your soul, but you sure as hell have good taste :)

and i agree with anon, you write very well. i start my day with a look at your blog.

Smith said...

@ anon - considering he wrote it in my notebook (which was a bit of a whore, there's less of my handwriting in it than those of others, some that i can't even recognise) it could have been an oblique attempt to reach out to some ladies, but it's more likely a general sort of scrawl with the above-suspected intention, and the lazies are just lazies whether they're ladies or gents.

and thank you, you are very kind

@ orange egg - thank you, and i hope your Burma trip actually happens and you continue to be able to spread your dreams beneath the feet of someone you love...damn i'm envious!

Boomsa said...

I loved this one when I first read it. I even used it as the introduction to a paper I wrote, can't remember anything about it though.

Thanks for reminding me of its existence. I will read more Yeats tonight.

Anonymous said...

bleddy mal fungus fool

Anonymous said...

reminds me of a time when i sat head in hands and said very loudly 'life secks!' Not the emotion it was meant to evoke I am sure.

Anonymous said...

reminds me of a time when i sat head in hands and said very loudly 'life secks!' Not the emotion it was meant to evoke I am sure.

Smith said...

@bappi - wotsup machaa? any poems you've written lately?

@anonymous shal - does this count as a mention?

Anonymous said...

i am stupendously bored today and no it does not count as a mention.