Pages

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Minal from Kotak Mahindra

While, this was no 'Tumhari Amrita,' it was still a lot of fun. Sometime around October or November 2004 I got a call on my office phone; another of those phone marketing people, Minal from Kotak Mahindra, trying to sell me a personal loan. I politely told her I didn't need a personal loan but I wished her luck in finding a customer.

A week or two later I got another call from Minal from Kotak Mahindra, asking if I had by any chance changed my mind and whether I'd require a personal loan. Once again I politely told her I didn't and enquired whether she had actually found any people who wanted the personal loan. She answered in the affirmative, and then I hung up.

About a month or two later, I got a call again and this time Minal from Kotal Mahindra became just Minal, and she said something to the effect of 'you wouldn't need a personal loan, would you,?' I replied in the negative and she told me how someone else in my organisation had yelled at her. I commiserated and the conversation ended.

After that, Minal would call every month or so, and with her calling frequenly, she stopped introducing herself and all she said was a cheery 'hello sir' and expected me to figure it was her. The funny thing is that I would, and then I'd talk to her for a minute or two, always saving at least a line to clarify my lack of need for a personal loan.

A month or so before leaving Bombay she called, and I told her that not only did I not need a personal loan, I wouldn't be available on that number anymore, since I was leaving my job and the city. She told me that as coincidence would have it, she was also leaving her job and she was joining some other bank. We wished each other the very best in our new jobs and wrapped up the conversation. Needless to say, we never spoke again.

There was a curious excitement to these phone calls, although I'd forget them about them as soon as they concluded. Just a word to my friends in Bombay, if you get a call from Minal asking you if you need anything, personal loan, credit card, etc., please be nice.

7 comments:

Boomsa said...

I hope you kindness takes you places. My brief flirtations with it have taken me nowehere.
Love.

EpeeFanee said...

very touching.

now add the wiki link to the side bar of your cool links, so that we can test and see if that is the external link funda.

me said...

and here i was being all cynical. my faith in humanity has been restored *bow*
:)

Smith said...

@ me, who be u?

me said...

a random blogger you don't know, who liked your blog, and commented...
not complicated...

Snake Anthony said...

Awww... *promptly melts*

rajrajesh1975@rediffmail.com said...

if you by chance have her # please share for good....I too am looking for Minal from kotak mahindra for some good reason