Pages

Saturday, March 11, 2006

College abilities

This is not just another nostalgia trip, but the desire to regain some of those things I never realised I had, till they 'stealthily disappeared' like some friends of mine did from a sociology class.

I'd like some 'college abilities' please; some ability to hero-worship unabashedly; some ability to love a piece of music so much that you wear out the rewind button on your tape-deck; some ability to fall in love with a pretty face for the reason that the face is pretty; some ability to ride 'trips' on a bike carrying a mattress and two pillows; some ability to see a deadline and decide 'f*** it'; some ability to sit-up till 4 am, doing nothing but bitching about people; some broke-ness, to fully appreciate the beauty of a tasty meal; some innocence, to feel outraged at the 'evil ways' ofthe world; some naivete, to believe that you can be a lawyer and be a rock star at the same time; some cellphone-lessness, to be able to sit near the hostel telephone waiting for it to ring; some cockiness, to be able to throw condoms in class; some bravado, to wear a black-band in protest....against anything; some one-rupee coins, to call someone from a coin-box phone; a football ground, to miss when it's replaced by a library; some more bass on the drum monitor....

Bla bla bla, fine it's just another nostalgia trip, so sue me.

6 comments:

simmi said...

it sounds pretty much like my life...i think I am what is termed an eternal student, would study my entire life if I could, getting a nine to five job scares the shit out of me.
It allows me to always be intoxicated by ideas, and makes me stay truthfull to my ideals...although it is not always that romantic to be perpetually broke!

Smith said...

actually i love my work, i go through these weepy phases once in a way, i wish there was a way you could like work for a week, then chill for a week and make films, write etc., then work for a week, and so on...

Mayuri said...

...And i want to go swimming in the afternoon, go off for a 'vacation' whenever I got a saturday off, as opposed to turning up in office on saturdays and sundays coz some client needs a tax opinion pronto...watch a new release every sunday...read a good book every week and if the book is very intresting read it all night and in class too....stare out of the window while Pulla Reddy 'lectured' on Insurance laws...eat DBCs till ur about to burst (btw vinay there is a corner house community on orkut..cute no?) ...do 'joint study' before exams with plenty of snacks from the tuck shop to keep the spirits soaring....feel the thrill of getting drunk on the hostel terrace(DISCO? Haaaah!) ...even study history...WHATEVER MAAAN!!!!

N said...

I'd like to work two days then take a day off, then work another two days and take a day off, and so on...

Maybe, in another life.

km said...

the inability to hit the rewind button....more than any thing else, that's the one that makes me feel OLD. Seriously, how did we sit with zero attention-deficit in front of a crappy tape player, playing and re-playing the same old songs?

Smith said...

yup, the rewind button, i do miss it...and there is some music that I have only on tape, which I haven't been able to find on CD, which i can't play because i don't have a tape player anymore...sad! i think this instant gratification is not good....the hummmm of the rewind, sort-of built up an anticipation that has now disappeared...zap..zap...