Pages

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Top ten songs

The following were my favourite songs (or what I claimed were my favourite songs) sometime in the latter part of the year 1999. Six-plus years on, I think I'll analyse this list a bit:

  • Simon & Garfunkel-Bridge Over Troubled Water (was in love with S&G, although I preferred other songs, I probably thought this one should be their best, and it was soppy as hell, like I was at that time)
  • Iron Maiden- Fear of the Dark (was just discovering metal, particularly Iron Maiden, had heard this track more than any of their others, although it is a good track)
  • Simon & Garfunkel-Sounds of Silence (more S&G, this was definitely one of my favourites then, and probably among my favourites even now)
  • Pink Floyd-WIsh You Were Here (I had just started college, and you HAVE to like Pink Floyd when you are starting college, and what better top-ten overplayed song than WYWH, plus I hadn't heard too many others, so had to maintain my street-cred by citing the token Floyd song)
  • The Beatles-I Will(White Album) (Lovely song, still love it, the 'white album' in brackets was surely an attempt to look like a connoisseur of less popular Beatles albums, fact remaining that at that time the White Album was the only Beatles album I had heard as an album)
  • Radiohead-Creep (The ultimate wallow in self-pity ironic late adolescent song with noisy guitars...woohoo)
  • Sting - Fields of Gold (great song, overplayed, still love it though)
  • The Byrds-Turn, Turn, Turn (absolutely totally loved this song then, then I heard it too many times, and I saw Forrest Gump too many times, but it's Biblical and stuff, so maybe I once had a spiritual side)
  • G'n'R-Sweet Child of Mine (*bloody embarassing*, well it was 'cool' and slash was cool, and axl rose was cool, and the guitar bits are actually quite.....erm......cool)
  • Joe Satriani - Rubina's Blue Sky Happiness (fabulous song, and satriani was also 'cool', and some years later Standard Chartered used this tune in an ad campaign and that made me very happy, still one of my favourites)
Won't attempt a similar list now, might have to brutally analyse it some six years on....and feel sheepish.

9 comments:

Boomsa said...

Hehehe. Yes, I remember your obsessions with most of these. Especially, 'I Will', which used to be dedicated to this girl I know.

:)

Smith said...

There were MANY songs dedicated to this girl that you allegedly know! that would be an interesting list as well...hmmm

Thomas said...

Did I tell you we did an a cappella version of I Will? We did a segue from Blackbird - came off quite nicely.

And I still can't hear The Sound Of Silence without thinking of our performance. Thank you for starting me off in the law school music scene. :)

simmi said...

There is nothing wrong with hillbilly crap like Guns and Roses.
My favorite is Mr. Brownstone.
I think all their songs are classics. They were like the Beatles of hardcore pop.

I confess to still getting tipsy and belting out Guns and Roses songs.

"I used to do a little
but a little wouldnt do it
so a little got more and more,
I just kept trying to get a little better
a little better than before
We been dancing with Mr. Brownstone
he's been knocking
he wont leave us aloooone"

There music is as addictive as Mr. Brownstone

...and no, I am not drunk this early.

simmi said...

There is nothing wrong with hillbilly crap like Guns and Roses.
My favorite is Mr. Brownstone.
I think all their songs are classics. They were like the Beatles of hardcore pop.

I confess to still getting tipsy and belting out Guns and Roses songs.

"I used to do a little
but a little wouldnt do it
so a little got more and more,
I just kept trying to get a little better
a little better than before
We been dancing with Mr. Brownstone
he's been knocking
he wont leave us aloooone"

There music is as addictive as Mr. Brownstone

...and no, I am not drunk this early.

Smith said...

Tomaso, no problem maan! good to hear I will was done!

And Simmi, I agree Mr.Brownstone rocks...as do most other G'n'R songs...just that 'sweet child..' is the most overplayed and hence most ridiculed!

simmi said...

well, there is obviously a reason for that.
Right know im listening to a garage compilation 'GLORIA International Garage Rock Club'
Check it out if u havnt already.
It is superb.
U r more than welcome to pay me a visit on my blog...

Smith said...

don't think it's available in India, will check it out if I can

simmi said...

Enjoy Ziggy Stardust.
Sinatre!?!
aparently he raped Marylin Monroe, apart from his other gangsta dealings.